Facebook allows you to change your name once every 60 days, provided you meet certain conditions. The change is very simple: we give you instructions on how to change your Facebook name from your Android smartphone or PC. But also the conditions you need to know.
Want to change your Facebook name? After leaving the field open to its users in its early years, the social network later strongly encouraged them to give their real name, going so far as to limit the number of possible changes. Today the rules set by Facebook are relatively flexible: you can change your name once every 60 days if you wish. This is very useful in case of a change of civil status, but also if you just want to change your name for the sake of fantasy, or if you intentionally don't want it to be easy for anyone to find.
Here's how to do it:
How to change your Facebook name from the PC
To change your Facebook name from the PC :
- Click here to go to the right section of your account settings
- Enter your new last name, first name and possibly middle name.
- You can also add other names that will allow you to find each other (e.g. stage name, nickname, etc...).
- Click Change Preview
The arrival of Facebook's new interface does not change the procedure, as you can see on the screenshot below. The access to the account settings are, as always, at the top right of the interface.
- Click on the blue arrow at the top right to bring up the menu
- Select Settings and Privacy
- Finally, choose Settings to access the same page where you can enter the new information.
How to change your Facebook name from an Android or iPhone smartphone
To change the name from an Android or iPhone smartphone :
- Open the Facebook smartphone application
- Go to the ≡ icon on the top right or bottom right depending on your version
- Scroll down and touch Settings and Privacy > Settings > Personal Information
- Touch your name then change it
- Touch Preview change and validate with your password to make the change effective.
Change your Facebook name: conditions to know
A priori, it is not possible to choose too fancy names on Facebook. The social network gives its conditions. The name should not include :
- Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, duplicate characters or punctuation.
- Special characters that do not belong to the same language
- Titles of any kind (one cannot, a priori, be called "master" for example)
- Words or phrases instead of a name
- Offensive or explicit words of any kind
Of course, these rules are more or less respected, especially regarding the last two (some puns pass censorship lightly...). In its conditions, Facebook also specifies that the name must match the one on your ID. And it is strictly forbidden to impersonate someone else. Here again, the cases in which Facebook will actually ask you for your identity papers are extremely rare - it's never the case for a simple name change, and this can be seen, we're sure, in the one chosen by some of your friends.
In any case, let's stress that requests for proof of identity are in no way legally binding on you: and that you always have the option - however annoying - of deleting your account if you don't want to reveal your real identity in case Facebook asks you for proof of identity.
How many times can you change your Facebook name: is it unlimited?
Do you want to change your Facebook name from time to time so that you don't fixate on an identity on the social network? This may not be the best way to go about it: once you change your name, and even if it contains an error, you won't be able to ask Facebook to change your name again for 60 days. Apart from this rule, you can change your name an unlimited number of times.